“Overweight” and “Obesity” refers to body weight that is greater than which is considered healthy for a certain height. The useful measure of overweight and obesity is the BMI (Body Mass Index) which is calculated from the height and weight. Obesity and overweight is imposed as an increasing burden on the world’s population in the rich and poor nations with about 30% of people, which a staggering 2.1 billion people globally are either obese or overweight.
Generally, a BMI of 18.5 and 25 is considered normal, if your BMI is 30 or more then you are considered as obese. Poor lifestyle choices like overeating, eating processed foods high in fat, lack of sleep, oversized food portions, excessive alcohol consumption and lack of physical activities contribute to obesity. Genetic factors and hormonal problems also increase your risk of developing obesity.
Overweight and obesity is a matter of great concern since it makes you susceptible to numerous serious health problems, including heart diseases, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Overweight and Obesity
- Lemon Juice: Take a cup of warm water mix it with a teaspoon of lemon juice and drink it in the morning on an empty stomach. It is one of the best home remedies for fighting obesity since it improves digestion and aids in detoxification. Healthy digestion is a pre-requisite for weight loss as it helps the body get the essential nutrients for burning the fat. Lemon juice also helps remove the toxins from your body, which slows down your metabolism.
- Green Tea: Drink about three to four cups of green tea daily to combat obesity. It helps slow down the weight gain by limiting the fat absorption and increasing the body’s ability to use fat.
- Honey And Cinnamon: Pour a cup of hot water over one and a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Let it steep for half an hour. Mix a teaspoon of organic honey. Drink half of it in the morning on an empty stomach and the other half just before the breakfast. It helps boost your metabolism and energy and detoxify our body, thereby supports weight loss. Honey promotes fat metabolism while cinnamon helps fight insulin resistance and reduces the oxidative stress related to metabolic syndrome, thereby helps you to avoid overeating.
- Fennel: Slightly dry roast and grind the fennel seeds and sieve the powder. Take one-half teaspoon of this powder daily with warm water. You can also drink fennel tea 15 minutes before meals. It has diuretic properties that help you lose weight quickly by reducing the water retention. They do not cause long-term weight loss.
- Diet for fast weight loss: Liquid diet or juice diet for a week or ten days followed by all fruits diet for four to five days can aid in weight loss. After the fasting period, you should consume a balanced diet of seeds, fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains and fresh juices. This will help to lose weight and maintain it. Avoid foods like cheese, chocolates, butter, cream, cakes, fried foods and foods high on carbohydrates like cookies, potatoes, bread, sugar, etc.
Surgical Procedure for Obesity and Overweight
The surgical procedure for obesity and overweight include bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery. This procedure helps to improve the serious health conditions associated with the obesity. The positive effects of the surgery outweighs the problems related to the reduced amount of food and the risk of malnutrition associated with dietary habits. Most patients who are obese or overweight and have undergone the surgical procedures feel more energetic and also got relief from the problem related to low energy, breathlessness and body aches in their weight loss attempts with the home remedies.
Since obesity and overweight puts you at higher risk of developing serious health conditions, hence you should adopt healthy lifestyle changes to combat this problem. Though the home remedies may help you with your weight loss efforts, however, it may not work for all. Surgical procedures such as bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery helps to improve or completely eliminate the health related problems related to overweight and obesity. You should consult the best bariatric surgeons while opting for the surgical procedure to lose weight.