LV Prasad Eye Institute-Hyderabad
L V Prasad Eye Institute is a world-class eye hospital, research, and training centre located in Hyderabad, India. Its mission is to provide excellent and equitable eye care to all in a caring and compassionate manner. The Institute's six areas of focus are comprehensive patient care, sight enhancement and low vision rehabilitation, community eye health, clinical research, education and training programmes, and product development.
L V Prasad Eye Institute is a comprehensive eye health facility located in Hyderabad, India. Founded in October 1986 by eminent ophthalmologist Dr Gullapalli N Rao, the Institute has evolved into a world class organization, with six main areas of focus: comprehensive patient care, clinical research, sight enhancement and rehabilitation, community eye health, education, and product development.
From the beginning our focus has been on extending equitable and efficient eye care to the underprivileged. The Institute's charter aims at providing 50 percent of its surgical services free of cost to the economically disadvantaged. In collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB), we have designed and implemented many innovative community eye health programs. Each day, 200
people who cannot afford eye care, receive care from some of the best eye health professionals, while hundreds more benefit from LVPEI's rural affiliates and satellite clinics in urban slums. The cornerstone of progress in medical science is research and LVPEI collaborates with premier institutions globally in this area. Our research program takes pride in putting cutting edge technology, like stem cell transplantation, to clinical application. We have also developed innovative applications of lasers to treat corneal and retinal diseases, while evolving unconventional approaches to glaucoma treatment and conducting frontline research into the molecular genetic basis of eye diseases
- 1996 First exclusive Children's Eye Care Centre in the developing world.
- 1999 Exclusive facility for supporters; Retinopathy of prematurity screening in neo-natal units.
- 2000 Ocular Oncology Service; Bausch & Lomb School of Optometry at Kismatpur Campus outside Hyderabad.
- 2001 Photo-dynamic Therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration; WHO - IAPB program for Pediatric Ophthalmology training. 2002 Clinical realisation of the stem cell research; Ocular Prosthesis Service.
- 2003 Started the Children's Eye Cancer Centre; LVPEI's approach to sustainable eye care in developing countries adopted as a model by WHO 2004 Recognized as an advanced tertiary care centre operating at all levels of eye health care - primary, secondary, tertiary. Clinical Care Services
LVPEI provides treatment and management of all eye diseases under various subspecialties, while also offering a complete range of services through specialised clinics. We have an exclusive clinic for visually impaired children, including newborns and infants, and a full-fledged oncology service.
All our clinical services work closely with the research departments so that practice keeps pace with the latest scientific knowledge. We take pride in putting cutting edge technology, like stem cell transplantation, to clinical application. We have developed innovative applications of lasers to treat corneal and retinal diseases, evolved unconventional approaches to glaucoma treatment and conducted frontline research into the molecular genetic basis of eye diseases.
The hospital is entirely self-sufficient - all essential diagnostics can be conducted in-house. A biomedical team ensures that the equipment is kept in perfect working order at all times.
ACILITIES AVAILABLE FOR-
- Children's Eye Care
- Cornea and Anterior Segment
- Contact Lens
- Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Orbit and Ocular Oncology
- Strabismus (Squint) & Neuro Ophthalmology
LVPEI's International Appeal
L V Prasad Eye Institute (LVPEI) is synonymous with quality eye care in India and across the world. To a great extent this is due to a unique combination of world class medical talent, state-of-the-art medical equipment, excellent patient care services and the exceptional ambience of the Institute. According to one Harvard health management scholar, "LVPEI embodies excellence, efficiency and equity". Indeed, this is the only eye Institute in the world that provides the most comprehensive coverage of all eye care services. LVPEI's partnerships with Bausch and Lomb, Carl-Zeiss and other frontline global corporations - combined with our consultants' global exposure and training - have enabled us to offer our patients cutting-edge medical techniques and technologies. Our formidable research constantly feeds back into clinical application - making us a much sought after research and training institute the world over. In fact, the Institute trains a significant number of international students every year. Almost two decades of excellent eye care service delivery has placed us on par with leading eye research institutes in the world. We offer the best of both worlds - high-end services at affordable costs.
Our clinical services cover the entire gamut of eye care from initial examination to treatment aCnd management of complex problems. In addition to regular treatment and surgical procedures, we also have proven expertise in the highly sophisticated areas of:
- Cataract surgery with phacoemulsification and IOL implantation,
- Corneal transplantation,
- Laser refractive surgery - LASIK, PRK, etc.,
- Microsurgery of the retina and vitreous,
- Photodynamic therapy for Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD),
- Diabetic retinopathy,
- Glaucoma treatment,
- Eye plastic surgery,
- Tumors of eye and orbit,
- Inflammatory disorder and infections of the eye, and Children's eye problems - through a dedicated centre, which is the only one of its kind outside USA.