Gastric Sleeve Resection in Kerala as an Alternative option for Obesity Surgery
Gastric sleeve resection in Kerala as an alternative option for obesity surgery is offered along with a rejuvenating holiday. Highly skilled super specialist obesity surgeons of Kerala perform the surgery for better outcome. Kerala is famous as holiday destination worldwide and apart from this it is now being considered as the best medical tourism destination. Medical facility provided in Kerala is attracting the patient’s crowd from the western countries as they seek treatment at low cost. Hospitals in Kerala offering Gastric sleeve resection are at par with the international standards. Kerala is also famous for its exotic beaches and tourist locations that can be beneficial for faster recovery post treatment. So, patients can opt for Gastric sleeve resection in Kerala and can have a holiday with efficient results.
What is Gastric Sleeve Resection?
Gastric sleeve resection is a relatively new kid on the block when it comes to bariatric surgery. Also called as gastric sleeve surgery, it is typically used to safely jump-start the surgical weight loss process in people who are too obese or sick to have more invasive weight loss surgeries or are not candidates for gastric banding.
Put another way, Gastric sleeve resection lets such people reach a safe weight so they can then undergo the more radical gastric bypass surgery or duodenal switch surgery. The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery states that this is the most useful application of gastric sleeve surgery at this time, because it appears to be faster and/or easier than other weight loss surgeries in these high-risk people.
Patient Considerations for Gastric Sleeve Resection
- Gastric sleeve resection is safer option for individuals with BMI greater than 60 to undergo two-stage process of gastric sleeve followed up with duodenal switch or gastric bypass after partial weight loss
- Option for patients concerned about long-term side effects of weight loss surgery that involves rerouting and bypassing a portion of the small intestine, such as intestinal obstruction, ulcers, anemia, osteoporosis, protein deficiency, and vitamin deficiency
- Restrictive weight loss option for patients who are not comfortable having a medical device implanted into their body as with the LAP-BAND or REALIZE Band
- Surgical weight loss option for patients with health problems or complex medical issues that may prevent them from having other types of weight loss surgery, such as anemia, Crohn’s disease, anti-inflammatory drug use, or extensive prior surgery
- Revision option for gastric band patients experiencing problems with their band but who do not want to convert to a bypass type of operation
Gastric Sleeve Resection Procedure
During Gastric sleeve resection procedure a bariatric surgeon removes about 60 percent of the stomach so that it takes the shape of a tube or sleeve. Gastric sleeve resection is performed laparoscopically, meaning that the surgeon makes small incisions as opposed to one large incision. He or she inserts a viewing tube with a small camera (laparoscope) and other tiny instruments into these small incisions to remove part of the stomach. The tube-shaped stomach that is left is sealed closed with staples.
Gastric sleeve resection is often followed by a gastric bypass or duodenal switch after the patient has lost a significant amount of weight. Called a "staged" approach to weight loss surgery, this makes the second procedure less risky than it would have been had it been the first and only procedure. The timing of the second surgery varies according to the degree of weight loss. It usually occurs within six to 18 months.
Advantages of Gastric Sleeve Resection
- Gastric sleeve resection promotes weight loss by restricting amount of food that can be eaten at any one time
- Gastric sleeve resection reduces hunger since it removes the part of the stomach that produces the hunger stimulating hormone ghrelin
- Digestion occurs normally as the digestive system is not altered
- Does not cause malabsorption or nutritional deficiencies as it does not involve rerouting or bypassing the small intestine
- Less chance of developing ulcers than with gastric bypass surgery
- Dumping syndrome not likely to occur as the stomach outlet (pyloric valve) remains intact, unlike gastric bypass surgery
- Less complicated procedure than gastric bypass or duodenal switch surgery
- Gastric sleeve resection can usually be performed laparoscopically on extremely obese patients
- Does not require a gastric band being implanted into the body
- Does not require adjustments or fills as with a LAP-BAND or REALIZE Band
- Safer than a combined restrictive/malabsorptive weight loss surgery for patients who have many health problems
- Gastric sleeve resection may be converted to gastric bypass or duodenal switch if necessary for additional weight loss
- Expected excess weight loss for stand-alone procedure is 60 to 70% at two years
Gastric sleeve resection in Kerala is offered at low cost that is beneficial for patients who come from countries like UK and USA where surgery costs are too high. Forerunners Healthcare in India offers you the treatment along with the best medical care and accommodation and all other service required during the treatment and has tie ups with various hospitals having trained experienced surgeons in dealing with international patients. What many tourists have now discovered is that Kerala has a pool of trained doctors and nurses and an excellent network of hospitals that offer international standard treatments at very affordable prices.
To watch our international patients’ testimonial videos: click here
To read international patient’s experiences: click here
Phone Numbers Reach Us-
India & International : +91-9860755000 / +91-9371136499
UK : +44-2081332571
Canada & USA : +1-4155992537